Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cashew Nut Butter


I Like Cashews. They are pretty much my favourite "nut". I even Wikipedia-searched them, to try and sound like I know a lot about Cashews, But I just sat there amazed at how much I didn't know. You should Wikipedia search them too. They grow on very very pretty trees with cool leaves that grow in a spiral around the branch.

I found this on the Nutritional Value of Cashews. Its a pretty informative page, and if you search around a bit, they do have Cashew Butter analysis too.

Its been a long time without a real recipe on here, and while I think you should make this, because it is preservative-free and SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Yummy (and you know what is in it because you are making it yourself)... Its not that complicated of a recipe, It mostly goes by feel instead of measurements, and it is so very simple, you will wonder why you ever bought the stuff in the first place.



Step 1: Find and Buy Cashew nuts. I used roasted and unsalted ones. You are going to need more than just those little tins of them in the snack section. I found them in a big jar in the International food section at No Frills for around $12.

Step 2: Pull out your food processor (Or in my case: Drive 2 hours to visit your parents and use their food processor, promising to leave them some cashew goodness)

Step 3: Put Cashews in Food Processor (I used about 2 cups), and put the lid on

Step 4: Turn on the Food Processor

Step 5: Add a tiny bit of oil. I used Corn oil, and probably about 1 TBSP. You do have to let the food processor do most of the work. Add a teeny bit of oil at a time so you don't end up with separated Cashew butter. I would've used Peanut Oil or Cashew oil if I could find it, but this was kind of a last minute "I gotta try that" idea and forgot to get the oil too.

Step 6: Keep food-processing until you get the desired texture you want. All together, my Cashew Butter took about 15-20 minutes to make.

Step 7: Scrape into jars, and refrigerate

Step 8: ENJOY!



While at home, I also made more Strawberry Jam, So stay tuned for my first "Adventures in Canning" post. I'm going to post it in the next few days, along with a few other recipes we made while I was visiting the parental units.

(You could enjoy the Cashew Butter with homemade Strawberry Jam and Bananas and Multi grain Bread, on the deck with your pretty puppy who is growing like a weed, while there is a break in the rain)
(ps, that mess on the deck=Mama cat just had kittens... they are ADORABLE)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!