Saturday, July 2, 2011

Blueberry Explosion Muffins

I'm back, and I actually have a recipe!... It is delicious. Half of them were gone by the next morning. And then for a few days, I actually had some breakfast on the way to work.
But I'm just going to get to the recipe and pictures (which are kind of craptacular) because we are leaving to go hiking in the mountains pretty soon here, and I don't have time to ramble on and on.


Blueberry Explosion Muffins

1 cup Blueberries
1 cup Sugar
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (You could just sub in the All Purpose instead)
1 tsp. Salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup Coconut Oil
1 cup Buttermilk (You can use regular milk and add 1 TBSP of Lemon Juice or Vinegar and let it sit for about 5 minutes... Here is a great post on Buttermilk)
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Can of Blueberry Pie Filling


In Large bowl, Whisk flour, baking powder and salt.

In another bowl, Whisk the sugar and eggs together until pale yellow and thick. Whisk in the butter and oil until combined. Add the buttermilk and Vanilla and whisk to incorporate fully.

Add the wet to the dry, along with the blueberries, and fold in until just moistened. Don't over mix... Lumpy batter is OK

Divide into prepared muffin tins. Put 1-2 TBSP of batter (depending on the size of your muffin tin/paper liners), Then about 1 TBSP of Pie Filling, Then 2-3 TBSP of batter.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes in 375 F oven. They are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The edges will be a little golden and the tops will spring back a little when touched.


Let them cool a little in the muffin tin, and then transfer them to a wire rack to continue cooling.




I made little mini muffins with my left over batter... omitting the "explosion" part of the recipe.


Muffins like these have been sitting in my head, waiting for me to actually make them, and then another blog (and I totally spaced and didn't bookmark the blog) made blueberry muffins, and then I knew I had to make the muffins stuck in my head. Originally I had other pie fillings in mind, but they only had Blueberry and Mincemeat when I went shopping, and so Blueberry Explosion Muffins were born! You won't use the whole can of pie filling, I still have about half of it left, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it... It will probably end up as more muffins

Happy Long weekend!!! I hope every one had a great Canada Day yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!