Friday, August 5, 2011

Baked Eggs


Today, was the first day I have really felt like being in my kitchen for over a month now. Grocery shopping this morning was actually fun, and didn't feel like a chore. It's hard finding a balance with working all the time, catching up on sleep, spending time with the Boyfriend (just because we sleep in the same bed, doesn't mean we get to spend a lot of time together), and finding time to do some hobbies... I miss being a kid.

So today, I got to sleep in... Except that I didn't actually get to. The dogs got me up at 7 (woo, an extra 30 minutes of sleep) to go outside, and then I couldn't really fall back asleep, so I came online and checked email, facebook, and some blogs.

Tracy over at Shutterbean.com posted this amazing Cinnamon roll recipe. Which my taste buds decided I NEEDED to make today... (and I did, I'll write that post up as soon as I can).

And then I found a recipe for Baked Eggs somewhere... I forgot to bookmark it, or write it down (printer is out of ink, so I penned it out instead)


So guess what we had for supper tonight. Delicious Baked Eggs!

Seriously, you should make these, they are yummy, and very filling... and have lots of veggies, if you are so inclined.

BAKED EGGS
For 2 people you will need:

2 baking dishes (I Bought little square ones at Superstore for $5 each)
Spinach (you can pre-cook it, and squeeze out excess liquid, or just use it fresh like I did)
Heavy Cream
Mushrooms
Bacon (cooked, drained and cut into pieces - whatever size you want)
Bell pepper, (cut into stripes, or small cubes)
Tomato (cut into wedges)
Cheese (I used the Italian shredded mix that has mozzarella, provolone, Emmental and parmesan)
salt and pepper to taste
and of course, 4 eggs

Spray your baking dishes with cooking oil (or butter them)
Make sure your oven is preheated to about 350F
Line the bottom of the dish with spinach, I ripped mine apart with my hands, to make it easier to eat.
Add in some mushrooms and the bacon.
Crack 2 eggs into each dish
Arrange bell pepper and tomato around the eggs
Pour in about 1TBSP cream into each dish
sprinkle with salt and pepper, if so desired.
Stick in the oven until the whites of the eggs are starting to set (5 minutes? you'll have to watch them)
Open the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top (as much or as little as you like)
Turn the oven to broil, to get the cheese bubbly on top.
Remove before your cheese burns, but after the eggs are cooked.
Serve with Toast (if you want)

Prepare to be full!


*I tested this recipe for my own lunch, and undercooked the eggs the first time around... and burnt my cheese top, so make sure you keep an eye on it while it is in the oven... Just pretend you are a kid again, and those are your mom's cookies baking in there.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment!