Monday, April 30, 2012

Key Lime Pie

Back in February or March I was suffering from Spring Fever... I needed a taste of sun and less of a taste of this:
Snowstorm and wind-storm combined made the snow drift on my garage do this weird flippy thing... AND when I left for work in the morning, As I closed the door, I got COVERED in snow with the drift on my roof, just above the door collapsed on top of Ava and me... Not a great way to start the day

So I picked up Key Limes and started juicing them for Key Lime Pie.. And the sun came out (in my house) and we all cheered up a bit
Except Wilson and Ava... we didn't share with them.

Probably the hardest part of this recipe is juicing the tiny Key Limes. You need about a dozen of them, give or take.










I got the recipe from Cook. Eat. Love  and it is amazing... although I skipped the whipped topping and the homemade crust..   I have made this three times in the last few months, because it is that easy and that delicious that you can make it again and again....

Key Lime Pie (filling)

4 egg Yolks
2/3 cup Fresh Squeezed Key Lime Juice
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
zest from 2 KEY limes (finely grated)

Whip the yolks with the lime zest in a stand mixer until they are nice and fluffy (about 6 minutes)
Slowly and gradually add the can of condensed milk and beat until thick (about 5 minutes)
Turn the mixer speed to the lowest setting (I used "stir" on my Kitchenaid), slowly add the lime juice, and mix until everything comes together nicely. (A few seconds on a faster speed just at the end to make sure everything is together)
Pour into a prepared graham cracker crust. (This recipe JUST fits into a store bought crust... just be careful moving it around)
Bake about 15-20 minutes, or until the filling has just set...(It won't be wobbly any more)
Cook on a wire rack until room temperature, and then refrigerate at least 20 minutes before serving. It should be cold when you serve it, not warm.


Before Baking
 






























After Baking



 So Start juicing your limes... They are almost out of season (but don't listen to me about seasons... I just roasted some Butternut squash!)





2 comments:

  1. Sounds deliciously easy!! Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally make it on a crappy weather day... It makes it feel less winter-y outside!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!